Ferdinand II of Bourbon February 19, 1853 signed a decree by which he instructed the arch. Alvino to design an underground viaduct, passing under Mount Echia, bridge linked the Royal Palace and Victoria Square. This decree was not at all a social contemplated, in fact, to obtain a path military facility, in defense of the Palace, for those troops quartered in the barracks via Pace (now Via Domenico Morelli), off Ferrantina and San Pasquale a Chiaia , as well as a safe escape route for the same monarchs. The Bourbon Tunnel during the war and up to 70 years was used as a Hall Judicial Deposit; was stored in it is everything that was pulled from the rubble caused by the bombing from 200 Naples, and everything up to the 70s was recovered by collapses, evictions and seizures. You can admire inside the tunnel cars and motorcycles seized in those years-After about 150 years from the initial design of Ferdinand II of Bourbon and his architect Errico Alvino, the Cultural Association “Bourbon Underground” is proud to announce the public opening of the Bourbon Tunnel Hours: Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
Guided tours departing at 10:00, 24:00, 15:30, 17:30, in a foreign language.
Duration of the visit: 1 h 15 min